Sunday, April 24, 2011

DIY: Intimidation

With owning a home comes updates, maintenance and improvements. It is unavoidable.
 When we moved into our home, we knew that we would eventually want to replace the windows. We started with the 6 upstairs in hopes that it would help make our bedrooms warmer. We replaced them the summer Easton was born; we didn't want to put our new baby in a drafty, cold bedroom for the winter. 
We had the option of buying them pre-finished or unfinished. To save a little money, they were extremely expensive to start with, we purchased them unfinished. (You can see part of the window in the above picture.) I thought, NO PROBLEM, I can just stain them myself. 
This past January we replaced the remaining 8 windows on the main floor to complete our house with all new windows. These we decided to purchase pre-finished because needless to say, the upstairs windows were still not stained almost two years later!! 
Staining the windows was just one of those projects that I kept putting off. To be honest, I was a bit intimidated to stain them. I had never stained anything before and was afraid I would mess it up. My husband suggested we call my brother and ask if he wanted to do them. 
About two weeks ago I was tired of the project hanging over my head, so I took the windows out and started staining. Much to my surprise, it was SO EASY. Way easier than painting. It didn't take me long to do all 4 bedroom windows, and now I can check that off my list, and I am no longer intimidated to stain!


Here's the finished project!! They look awesome. (better in person)