Saturday, September 29, 2012

Our Summer: July Celebrations

July was the month for celebrations!
July 2, Aaron and I celebrated our 7th Wedding Anniversary.
July 4, we celebrated in Dubuque with my mom's side of the family. 
 Every year my mom's family and her childhood neighbors and their families, get together for a picnic and games. I think this year was the 51st year.
That day was ridiculously hot! My sister bought water guns from the dollar store that were an absolute hit!! We were desperate for something to keep us all cool. 
Titus got to meet his Great Grandma Mary for the first time, and Easton had fun playing with his second cousins. 

Our next celebration was a double whammy. We celebrated Easton's third birthday at noon, and had a baby shower for my brother and his wife at 4 o'clock the same day! 

 I love to entertain. Most of my ideas start with an inspiration. For Easton's Third Birthday, my inspiration came from two particular books; Frank and Ernest Play Ball and Babe Ruth Saves Baseball. 
I think we read these two books multiple times every day for at least four months!! I thought what better theme to do for his Third Birthday? 
So baseball it was!
I had a friend create a baseball card invitation to send to our guests. The front featured his playing positions, and the back; his stats. Easton thought it was the coolest thing to have a "real" baseball card with his very own picture on it. 
 My Father-in-law collected Baseball Pendants from stadiums he visited growing up. They were passed down to Aaron, and were the perfect backdrop for our table setting.
I hung three 12x12 pictures of Easton playing ball that were originally framed and hanging in his bedroom.

I wanted to serve things you would have at a baseball game, but with a vintage feel.
The Menu: 
Cheeseburgers 
Hot Dogs
Brats/Kraut
Sweet Potato Fries
Tomato, Basil and Mozzarella Skewers
Fresh Veggies
Popcorn 
Cracker Jacks
Peanuts in the shell
Big League Chew
To Drink:
Old Fashion Sodas
Water 
Of course you can't forget dessert!! 
Dessert included ice cream in a dish or cone with toppings of your choice. 

My family even followed the theme with their gracious gifts.
If you know Easton at all, he LOVES baseball. Every day this summer he played with his new bat, tee, bases and baseball guys. He's excited for all of them to arrive on the ocean crate!! Hopefully soon.
After Easton's party we took down all the decorations and set up for a baby shower in complete pink!! My brother and his wife are expecting their first, a girl, at the beginning of October!! They came to town from out of state, so we thought what better time to throw a baby shower!! I'm realizing now that I took very few pictures. Here are a few incomplete pictures of the table.
 Jodi feeding Tim baby food! Not sure why it's always funnier when it's your sibling.
L to R: Sister-in-Law Stephanie; Sister Katie; Sister-in-Law Jodi and myself.
NO we did not plan our outfits!
 My family minus my brothers Matt and Dan.